Nurse Practitioner (M.Sc.N./G.Dip)
Carve a career in “the finest of fine arts” with the compassion, understanding, and tenacity of Florence Nightingale.
Specialized learning opportunities teach you to advocate for patients, offer comfort and care from within a comprehensive healthcare system.
This program also allows nurses with a Masters degree in Nursing to complete the Nurse Practitioner Program courses. Students must apply to the MScN Program in order to receive advanced standing.
A nurse practitioner:
- Is an experienced registered nurse with advanced education, skills, and extended class (EC) registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Has the independent authority to perform controlled acts beyond those available to Registered Nurses (RNs), including ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, communicating a diagnosis, prescribing pharmaceuticals, performing specific procedures, and referring to specialists.
- Provides health promotion, disease prevention, and illness management for individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations
- Often acts as the individual’s or family’s first point of contact with the health care system, similar to the role of a Family Physician
- Works collaboratively with other health care professionals to support the health of their clients
Laurentian University is part of a consortium of nine Ontario universities that offer the Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Program (PHCNP). Students register and learn in their home universities.
The program incorporates problem-based and self-directed learning, simulation, and competency-based strategies to meet the critical competencies for NP practice.
The Nurse Practitioner Primary Health Care Program at Laurentian University is approved by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Current graduates from this program are eligible to apply for Extended Class registration as a Nurse Practitioner in Ontario.
Perspectives de carrière
Graduates can rest assured knowing there is a multitude of career options they can explore post-graduation. Some career options include, but are not limited to: Nurse Practitioner, health administration, research, academics and public health.
Many careers can be found in the public and private sector.
Est-ce que ce programme vous intéresse?
Regardez en profondeur les détails du programme, les cours et les options de diplôme!Détails du programme